This is a friendly reminder that the US will be celebrating our Independence Day on July 4. Please avoid shipping on Friday, July 3. Shipments made on July 3 will not be delivered to Covance until Monday July 6. If you must ship on July 3 a premium courier will need to be arranged and sponsor approval will be necessary for the additional expense.
1) What is dry ice?
Dry ice is solid Carbon Dioxide (CO2) with a low temperature of -78° C (-109° F). At atmospheric pressure, solid CO2 sublimates or changes directly to CO2 gas without a liquid phase.
2) How long are samples kept in dry ice? And does the long-term storage affect any sample analysis?
Samples can be kept frozen in dry ice for days, depending on the analytes/biomarker frozen stability. As dry ice has a limited shelf-life, long term storage of specimens can be jeopardized in case of insufficient replenishment of dry ice. For long term storage of specimens we recommend using a standard medical/scientific freezer instead of dry ice, with appropriate freezer’s temperature monitoring. Continue reading
This report is designed to assist in the management of frozen samples. It reflects the status of samples in our database at the time the report was generated. There may be some lag time so there may be items appearing on the report that were recently returned to Covance. Below are a few reminders about the report:
• We do not require that you contact Covance upon receipt of the report.
• If you have samples in your freezer, please return them to Covance.
• This report may contain optional samples that were not collected; no action is necessary in this circumstance.
• The report is issued monthly and specimens will appear on the report up to 3 times depending on the specific circumstances:
– If they were collected 15 or more days prior to report generation
– If they were collected more than 30 days prior to report generation
– If the samples are not received after 62 days they will be canceled and will appear on the report as a last reminder of non-receipt.
• If you know you sent the containers in to Covance and it has been more than 30 days from collection, you may want to review any stored samples and the air waybill information for the shipment. The Investigator Call Center would be happy to assist in investigating the receipt of the shipment.